Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Terrarth: Abel and the Ring

So what's a fella like you doing this far south?” The Psych merchant who I was currently working for asked with a lopsided grin. I shrugged, repositioning my bow and scanning the woodland that bordered the road. The merchant sighed, and out of the corner of my eye I saw him shake his head. “You definitely aren't the most talkative guard I've hired. Though your kind aren't very talkative anyway, so I suppose it's normal. Now when I was up north trading some exotic spices, I had quite the conversation with one of your folk. Went by the name of Esmeralda, she did. Mighty fine businesswoman, that Esmeralda...” The merchant sighed once more, and I shook my head.
Going south was my escape, yet wherever I went, I was still nothing more then an unbound Taint. I was sixteen and had yet to experience the Connection. Until I did, most Psych would not trust me. But I didn't care about the opinion of a bunch of blood mages. I planned to spend my freedom doing whatever I wanted.
Which at the moment meant going as far away from the world I knew as my feet would take me.
“Have you ever been in these parts before?” The merchant asked, before laughing at himself. “Naw! A youngster such as yourself, still wet behind the ears, probably hasn't been this far from home before.” He grinned warmly and slapped my back. “Just stick with Franklin, and you'll be alright.” I rolled my eyes, but couldn't resist a small smile. Franklin was a strange one, that I was certain of. But he had been the only one willing to hire a Taint.
We rode on in silence for a little while, then I spoke. “My name's Abel, not youngster.” Franklin laughed, then ran a hand through his salt and pepper colored hair.
“Well, Abel, I'm glad you've found your voice. I was beginning to wonder if it had been left in the last town.”
As Franklin let out another chuckle, something moved at the edge of my vision. I turned and lifted my bow as a werefox streaked towards the wagon. I waited for another second, then released my arrow as the werefox bared his fangs. My arrow caught in the werefox's shoulder, knocking it back a few feet. I leaped out of the wagon and notched another arrow, “Not today, fox. Leave now, or throw away your life.”
The werefox brought a clawed hand up to the arrow in his shoulder, then seemed to consider me. The werefox smiled and charged me. I fired, and the werefox fell with my arrow in his throat.
I put my bow in it's place in my quiver and drew my knife, cautiously walking towards the fallen werefox. “Careful, lad.” Franklin advised from the wagon. I nodded, watching as the werefox began to shift into its humanoid form. Its russet colored fur sank into pale skin, ears shifting lower on the head as the muzzle sank into a scruffy face. The transformation lasted only a few seconds, but the change was staggering.
The werefox opened his completely black eyes as I came closer, an urgency flooding them as he caught sight of me. I stopped a few feet away from him. The werefox lifted an arm towards me, then dropped it as he began drowning on his own blood.
It took only a few moments before the werefox died.
I looked away, then forced myself to look back at the man I had killed. “Shame he didn't choose to turn and run, lad.” Franklin said with a sigh, placing a hand on my shoulder.
What do we do now?” I asked, looking at the merchant. He looked at me, then nodded toward the body.
“We wrap it up and take it to the closest town. If he was a bandit, there might be a reward.” He turned and walked towards the wagon, calling over his shoulder. “You'll want to check the body for valuables, though I doubt he carried much in his fox form.”
I turned toward the body, and carefully scanned it for any items. I felt like a thief, but Franklin was right. The werefox wouldn't need anything anymore, and any possessions we left on him would be picked off by the townsfolk.
The only item the werefox had was a ring. It slid easily off his finger when I touched it. The ring was a dark gray and made of iron. It was completely smooth, without a single scratch marring its surface. I stared at the ring, gently turning it over a few times. Then without much thought, I slipped the ring on my left index finger.
My eyes snapped shut as the ring began to burn.


When I opened my eyes, I was lying on a straw mattress. My head felt as if a herd of centaurs had stampeded over it.
“Ugh...” I sat up and rubbed my head, wondering how I had gotten here.
The last thing I could remember was putting on the werefox's ring...
I looked down at my left hand. The ring was still there, and felt as cold as ice. I grabbed the ring and tried to take it off. But no matter how hard I tugged, the ring didn't even budge.
“Why won't this come off?” I groaned, giving up for a moment.
“It won't come off until you die.” A voice echoed in my mind.
I jerked up, looking around the room., but saw no one.
 “Who said that?”
“I am Nifol. And you are my new host.”

No comments:

Post a Comment