Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Three Story Challenge

 I was challenged to write three different stories in one day. I accepted. So instead of just one story today, I hope you enjoy three.

Story one: The Loneliest Number
Time is cruel. It beats against the works of man, causing even the greatest of empires to crumble to dust.
I have seen the rise and fall of countless empires. I do not interfere with those foolish beings. They dream of a glory, of a bright future where their children want for nothing.
I have seen these dreamers die.
Their children are no different, nor are their children's children. They dream, carve out a simple existence for themselves, then die just as they have begun to live.
I was once among their number. I had dreams. Friends. Family. A love.
But then I received a gift from one gifted in the ancient art of magic.
If I could go back, I would never have accepted that gift.
My curse.
Time laid claim to those I loved, tearing them from my grasp.
No matter how much I plead, Time ignores my cries for release.
For I am outside of her reach.
Yet I am not fully removed from her.
There are moments, so brief in my eye, where I feel her effects.
A silly child catches my notice with his naive laughter. A woman walks past, reminding me of my lost love with a flick of her hair. A foolish hero somehow convinces me to aid him on a quest.
The child grows up, laughter fading to exhausted sighs as his crops wither during a drought. The woman's hair becomes gray, wrinkles destroying any resemblance to my love. The hero is slain in battle, his quest left unfulfilled.
For a moment, each drew me into the simplicities of humanity.
Time stole each from me, laughing at the anguish she caused.
But no more.
I will not fall for anymore of her tricks.
Mankind had said that one is the loneliest number.
But it is far worse to be among those whose lives you come to care about, only to have them endlessly torn away.
I am better off alone. Outside of time's painful games.


Story two: Reflection
“Look into the mirror, and your journey's companion will appear.” The fairy said before disappearing in a puff of smoke. I waved my hand, coughing until the smoke dissipated. When I could breath again, I walked up the stone stairs toward where the mirror stood upon a pedestal.
In the dim light of the cave's torches, I slowly approached the mirror. As I expected, I saw nothing but my reflection. It revealed just how out of place I was in the land. My jeans and I ♥ Dragons t-shirt were very different from the fairy's gown of leaves or the troll's loincloth and bone necklace. I pulled a twig from my hair, frowning as I waited for the reflection to change.
“Come on, magic mirror. Who's my companion for this journey?” I asked, dropping the twig and leaning forward to tap the mirror's surface.
My finger slipped into the mirror, ripples appearing across its surface as I gave a yelp. I pulled my hand back, glancing down to look at my finger. It was cold, but looked okay. I looked back at the mirror and gasped.
My reflection did not copy me. Instead, it shook its head. “Jumpy, eh? Guess I didn't copy that trait.” My reflection said as it tapped the surface of the mirror. Its hand went through, and the rest of it followed.
I stumbled back, which caused my reflection to laugh. “This will be fun.” She said, crossing her arms and looking at me. “I don't know why you're so surprised. Its a magic mirror, not a hero vending machine.”


Story three: Four Simple Words
A little girl ripped the wrapping paper off of her last birthday present, then gave a delighted cry as she held up a lilac pegasus toy. “Thanks, Susie!”
Her friend gave a grin. “Now we can play together!”
The birthday girl nodded, then looked around the room. It was her birthday party, and she had gotten presents from all of her friends and family except for one. Setting down her new toy, the birthday girl stood as the other children ran over to where her mother was scooping out ice cream. The girl looked around the room, then walked out into the hall.
It was in the hall closet where she found the person she sought.
“Big brother, why are you hiding?” She asked, looking up at her brother. He was only a few years older then her at eight, but he was her hero.
“Because your friends laughed at me.” He grumbled, folding his arms. They had laughed at the him; for being the only boy at a pony themed birthday party. The birthday girl's eyes widened as she looked up at her brother.
“I'm sorry, brother. Please come play with me. Mom's serving ice cream!”
The boy looked at his sister, then sighed. “You really want me to play with you?”
The birthday girl nodded her head eagerly. “Yes! You're the best at racing and I love you.”
The boy smiled as his sister pulled him out of the closet. “I love you too.”

2 comments: