Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Dreams of dragons


"What is your dream?"
"That is of no importance," the dragon said, her voice a rough grinding sound as the claws on either side of me cut grooves into the stone. Ignoring the pressure of her paw holding me down, I frowned up at the dragon.
"Now then, surely dragons have dreams. A castle full of treasure? Or perhaps an endless flight through a smoke-filled sky?" I suggested, ignoring the fact that if those were this dragon's dream, then I was in trouble.
For from our position on top of the tower, the sky was filled with smoke. Far down below, the castle burned, its treasure untouched within the vault.
“Fool,” the dragon growled, and I tried to avoid focusing on her gaping maw of fangs.“Such things are of no significance.”
“Then what is?” I asked. I needed to keep the dragon talking. With my sword out of reach, my hopes rested on anyone being able to make it up here before the dragon grew tired of my chatter.
Surely it wasn't that difficult for the castle guards to spot a yellow dragon perched atop a tower.
“Vengeance.” The word came as an icy hiss, the dragon's eyes hard sapphires as she brought her head down to mine. “Your king dared to defile my nest, to rob me of my precious fledgling.” Hot breath bathed my face, filling my nostrils with the scents of smoke and decay.
Claws scrapped against stone, pressing me closer to the dragon's paw as those claws curled behind my back.
“My dreams have been slaughtered by your king,” the dragon said, voice frighteningly quiet. “Now, I return what has been wrought.”
Thought and breath vanished as the dragon sprang into the air. Pinned in her grip, I could do nothing as she cut through the sky.
Away from the castle that was my home, and away from the King who was my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment