Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The flow of music



The music flowed through the room. Its gentle, beckoning tones softly pleading for my attention.
Come, come.
The notes tugged at my heart and filled my mind.
Here is peace. Here is rest.
Almost unaware, my footsteps a minor disturbance to the melody. Even as the thought crossed my mind, the music shifted slightly to incorporate my footsteps.
Each note filled my ears, reverberating through my bones. With each step forward, I found it harder to remember a time before the music.
Had there ever been a time before the music?
The creeping doubts scarcely began to form before the music shifted, filling my mind with its sweet melody.
All thought fled.
Leaving only music.
Forward, following the swell of music out of the room. Through the declining spiral hallway.
Downwards, into the echoing elegy of a spacious cavern.
The steady dripping of water mingled with the music, beckoning me toward the pool in the center.
As the water lapped at my feet, a voice joined the music.
Words indecipherable, yet it beckoned to me.
An unfamiliar longing fill my heart.
In the dim light, a woman rose from the pool.
The music reached a crescendo, and the woman smiled.
As she embraced me, a single word broke through the music.
Siren.

No comments:

Post a Comment