Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Pizza delivery, part XXI


It was surprising how much I enjoyed being back on the road.
Sure, instead of the rough terrain or spooky forest we'd traveled through before, this well paved road passed farmland. Those we encountered were farmers and the like, not dangerous creatures.
There was a warm breeze, and my cloak swayed, Smoky's tendrils giving the cloth a smoldering appearance. So far, the guise seemed to be working. Brend had shown some interest in the cloak, and Callan had laughed about how it added to my appearance of being a fierce warrior. But that was all.
"What are they growing?" I asked Brend, motioning toward the farmland.
"All sorts of produce, and there are some ranches nearby as well." He said, and I spent the next few hours listening to his lecture on the local flora and fauna, and how a wizard's magic could be used to improve both.


So went the next week. Our journey was uneventful, other than some pleasant culinary experiments with the foods I was unfamiliar with.
When the capital came into view, I stopped to stare. Midday sun glinted off golden walls, and high towers spiraled into the sky. At the highest point, a stately palace governed over all; its brilliance making all the other elegant buildings seem like ramshackle shacks.
Callan slapped my shoulder. "Ain't she a beauty?"
I couldn't respond. This was the kind of place you found in fairy tales. Despite the monsters and magic I'd seen, I'd expected the capital to be like the simple village and the busy town.
Home to unusual things, yet still somewhat normal.
"How will we find one wizard in there?" I asked, forcing myself to look away from the dazzling city.
"Each wizard's magic has a distinct feel." Brend said as he stopped at my other side, shifting his staff from one hand to the other. "Once we're in the city, I should be able to use a locator spell to guide us to whoever hijacked my spell."
Turning back to face the capital, I drew in a deep breath. Soon, I'd know why I had been dragged into this world.
"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go."

No comments:

Post a Comment