Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Pizza delivery, part XXII


Even the streets gleamed.
We followed Brend through the capital, and I couldn't help but stare.
Gold, everywhere.
On everything.
"Careful laddy." Callan said, plopping a hand on my shoulder to stop me. Tearing my gaze away from the intricate metalwork we'd just passed, I realized that he'd stopped me from walking into a procession.
Soldiers marched up the long road before us, dressed in exquisite rose uniforms. Within the rows of soldiers, men in their finery encircled a covered litter carried by two stoic footmen.
One of the litter's curtains rustled, and Callan's grip on my shoulder tightened as he tugged me down into a bow.
"We common folk don't gaze at Her Highness." He said softly when I started to lift my head. I looked at him instead.
"Her Highness?"
"Princess Kevine, the sole child of His Majesty, King Ormond." He answered, and I couldn't resist another glance.
I'd never seen royalty before, and this might be the closest I ever came.
The procession had stopped, and a soldier with a pale green sash over his uniform was beside the litter. His head was tilted toward the curtain, and after a moment the soldier dipped his head.
"Alex!" Callan's voice was a hiss, and I reluctantly lowered my head.
Were we supposed to just wait with our heads bowed until the procession continued?
"The soldier is coming." Smoky's voice filled my mind, and I almost looked back up. Sure enough, well polished boots appeared before me. Callan's hand on my shoulder tightened further, and I took the hint.
No looking up.
"Who is your leader?" The soldier's tone was crisp, and Callan straightened slightly.
"I am." Callan said.
"What is your business at the capital?"
"We're looking for a certain wizard."
"Does this search require all of your band?" The soldier asked, and I wished I could see his face. His voice gave nothing away.
"It shouldn't." Callan answered slowly, and the soldier's boots shifted toward me.
"Her Highness has requested that your dragonslayer attend to her."
Did he mean me? I glanced toward Callan, and his hand on my should loosened.
"Then Mister Alex must go." Callan said, and I took it as a cue to straighten.
The soldier studied me, then gave a nod before turning back to Callan. "Where will you be staying?"
"The Blue Belle."
"Your companion will rejoin with you there." With that, the soldier turned and motioned for me to follow. I glanced at Callan, and he nodded.
Falling in step behind the soldier, I wondered what a princess could want with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment